Monday, March 15, 2010

Motivation

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." -Matthew 22: 36-40
After going through a group study by Bill Hybels called 'Just Walk Across the Room,'  it became clearer to me what the point of sharing God with others was.

It's easy to get wrapped up in having the wrong motive while your speaking to someone who does not believe in God.  If you love church and the wonderful environment that comes with it, you could very easily think that, when telling someone about God, you just want them to join your little 'club' by believing in Christ.  Isn't it more than that, though?  Isn't God more than just "Club Founder and President of the Christian Club?" Of course!  Behind every motive in sharing God's word is.... Love!  The verse above even says that "All the law and prophets hang on these two commandments" (emphasis mine).  In other words, behind everything that God has ever been a part of is love.

My interactions with others should have a foundation of love.  I am sure that God's work will flourish through me if I always have love as my motive.  I am also sure that if club recruitment is my motive, my work for God's kingdom will be crippled by my selfishness.  But I'm not looking for brownie points at the next club meeting.  I'm looking to introduce others to a loving God.

No comments: