Monday, March 22, 2010

Incorruptible, Undefiled, and Unfading

I am so glad to have something waiting on me in Heaven that I can't mess up. Right now I'm in my second semester of law school, and I was pretty surprised by how well I did during the first semester. Nevertheless, as crazy as this sounds, I almost wish I hadn't done so well because now I know there will be a lot of pressure on me to maintain my good grades. Law school can take a very heavy toll on the morale of law students, and the burden only gets heavier as they move on to the second year, the third year, and the bar exam. And don't even get me started about the legal career.

This summer I'll be doing a six week internship at Baker Hostetler, one of Columbus' larger law firms. While doing some background research on the firm, I learned that one of the partners at the Houston branch recently committed suicide. Let me make this clear- making Partner at a large law firm basically means you've made it in your legal career. I don't know why John Mings decided to take his life. I don't know if he struggled with depression or alcoholism, or if the pressure of success was too much for him to handle. But what I can tell from reading about him online is that he was only 45, he had a family, he went to church, and he was a very successful attorney. John Mings affected many people in a positive way, and I pray that God would comfort all of those who grew close to him during his time on this earth.

Let's be honest- no matter how much you earn and achieve in life, it won't last forever. Even if you don't mess it up anytime soon, it'll eventually disappear. That's why I'm glad to have an inheritance in Heaven through Christ.

1 Peter Chapter One speaks of an inheritance reserved in Heaven for those who have received Christ:
"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has regenerated us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled, and unfading, reserved in Heaven for you by the power of God, having been kept through faith to a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time..."

Just as a child may inherit something from his or her parents or grandparents without ever having done a thing to deserve it, we also receive an inheritance from God without having earned it. Moreover, we have been adopted into this Heavenly family, so we don't even inherit because of who we are. It is because of who Christ is and what He does for us. We can't ruin it! We inherit because of the mercy of God, and the inheritance is reserved by God's mighty power.

The power of God is the only reason why we will ever have anything that has real value. Everything else that we spend our lives chasing after will only have value for a nanosecond compared to what God has in store for His children. The things of this world are all like grass and flowers, as they will wither away and die. Our material possessions- clothes, cars, and homes; and anything else that brings us glory- our skills, talent and educations, and our good grades, good jobs and good reputations- these things are all temporary. Even the relationships we have with our loved ones will only last for so long.

Our inheritance in the Kingdom of God is the one thing that will never disappear. I do not mean to say that we shouldn't enjoy what God has given us today. Just don't grow so attached to anything that you forget how much it pales in comparison to the inheritance you will receive as one of God's children.

No comments: