Thursday, February 25, 2010

Thirsty?

"As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God."
- Psalm 42:1
Life, at any given time seems to have its fair share of desires.  At any one time, you might feel like you are 'panting' for something.  For me I felt like I could only be content until my next goal was completed-  I would think, "as soon as I finish my thesis" or "as soon as I get married" I will be happy.  I learned soon that this was not ever the case.  Every moment of joy that I would enjoy from an accomplishment would be shrouded by the burden of the my next goal.  Although I 'panted' for that next step in life, it was not fulfiling.

The reason that I was not fulfilled is that I was panting for the wrong thing.  A deer does not pant for pork rinds, as it is only water that would fulfil the deer's need.  As the psalm says, my soul pants for God.  God fulfills part of me that cannot be filled by any accomplishment or desire of this earth, but God alone.  After that realization for me, it was easy to just put God in His place in my life- because there was a void in me that already desired Him.  My soul pants for God, and regardless of what I try and fulfill it with, God alone can quench my thirst.

1 comment:

Joshua said...

When I lost my job this past Friday, I was delightfully unaffected. Not that I'm boasting in anyway; I'm merely a dork with no job. But surely I'm a content dork, having the only thing in life worth living for: the life of God. Because of God, I'm able to enjoy other things in life such as jobs, relationships, and material possessions. But when we lift those things to the position of God, they lose their satisfaction, as do we.