Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Surviving the Torrent

"Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say? I will show you what he is like who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice. He is like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete."                                                                                                -Luke 6:46-49 (NIV)
As a house's stability is tested when a storm strikes, so is our foundation (what keeps us together) tested when life gets rough.  There have been certain periods of my life where it was clear that my foundation was not built in the right place.  During these times, I saw that my foundation was built from my happiness; I built every brick on what made me satisfied.  So when trouble came, I was left at nothing- because my own happiness was unable to come through and hold myself together.

I had made every decision towards what was best for me- what I thought would keep me happy.  I placed my hope in satisfaction, and dreamed of when everything would be wonderful.  Suddenly, there's a hole in my plan- my dreams were crushed.  Things did not happen as they were suppose to.  My foundation relied on those dreams- and did nothing but crumble. 

I did learn a lesson from this: the only thing that will keep me stable in this world is laying a foundation of Jesus Christ.  With Christ as my foundation, I can face any torrent; I can emerge unshaken from the worst that life has to offer.

I want to lay my foundation built upon Christ.  I want to hear his words and put them into practice.

1 comment:

Corey Fronk said...

I completely agree. It is amazing how easy it is to build a foundation with the things of this world without even realizing it. When times are good, there are a lot of worldly things that seem like perfectly acceptable foundations. But no matter how stable they appear to be they will ultimately fail when the trials come. The only firm foundation is in Jesus Christ.