Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Lights! Camera! Uh...

We always thank God for all of you, mentioning you in our prayers. We continually remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.                                                       - 1 Thessalonians 1: 2-3
In this letter to the Thessalonians, they were not commended for their thoughts or internal values.  In other words, it did not read like this: "We continually remember before our God and Father your faith, your love, and your hope in our Lord Jesus Christ."  Rather, the Thessalonians have gone one step further, and allowed their faith to produce works, their love to prompt labor, and their hope to inspire endurance.  These Thessalonians took action.

Lets say I'm in culinary school.  In this school, I study books all day long about the techniques, recipes, and devices needed to be a successful chef.  Would this get me a spot on Iron Chef?  Probably not.  To be a real chef, I would need to get my hands dirty.  I would need to exercise those techniques I studied, and use all those recipes I memorized.  Unless I put  all my knowledge of the culinary arts to good use, it would be useless. 

So here are the real questions I need to ask myself concerning my faith as a Christian: Am I putting my faith into action?  Are all my bible readings, bible studies, church attendences and fellowships producing good works, labor and endurance? or am I just sitting around with a faith I am not using?

No comments: